Use of “MLS” in Member Firm Name and Web Address
Effective March 3, 2006, the RMLS Board of Directors passed NorthstarMLS Rule 13 restricting Participants’ use of the terms “multiple listing service” and “MLS,” especially in company names, web addresses, web domain names and URLs (except for Participant company names already in effect on March 3, 2006). The purpose of Rule 13 is to avoid misleading consumers by stating or implying that a Participant is an MLS or that the consumer has access to the MLS. Below are examples of appropriate and inappropriate uses.
- Creating a company name (3-3-06 or later) that contains “multiple listing service” or “MLS,” such as TwinCitiesMLS.
- Using “multiple listing service” or “MLS” in a Web site domain/URL such as www.AcmeRealtyMLS.com or www.AcmeRealty.com/MLSlistings/
- Making a statement on any Web page implying that the Web site visitor is searching the actual MLS database, such as “Search the MLS” or “Access RMLS/NorthstarMLS.”
- Placing the RMLS or NorthstarMLS logos in any advertisement, Web site, or use in any other manner not authorized by Regional MLS of MN, Inc.
- Stating that an agent or broker is a member of RMLS or NorthstarMLS.
- Including an MLS number search function on your Broker Reciprocity Web site and labeling it “Search By MLS#.”
- Instead of a statement like “Search the MLS,” use a statement such as “Search for properties listed with Participants of Regional MLS of MN on the NorthstarMLS system.”
- Use of the MLS Service Mark available from The National Association of REALTORS® for MLS Participants.
Required Disclaimer for Brokers that already have “MLS” in their company name:
For Participants that already had “MLS” or “multiple listing service” in their name before 3/3/06, a disclaimer must be placed prominently and conspicuously on the following:
- All advertisements;
- Web site home page;
- Any page on the Web site from which visitors can search for property;
- Any page on which another Participant’s listings appear.
The disclaimer must state that the company is not a multiple listing service but is a member of Regional MLS of MN, Inc.
If you have any questions, contact the NorthstarMLS Rules Department at 651-251-3210.